Wednesday, 3 December 2014

My artefact for EDCMOOC-December 2014

My digital ecosystem: An e-learner, an e-trainer and the "space between"

              Since long time that I entered the world of e-learning as a heavy MOOC-ker, I was very much interested on the idea of how could one “be present” for the other through a digital mean interaction and how a vibrant contact could be achieved. Both “contact” and “presence” represent for me core human values. But where do they happen and get experienced (if they do) when the communication takes place via technology and there exist a “space between”?   
              The EDCMOOC course had a substantial impact on me. I started questioning myself about the new boundaries, which are shaped and the formation of a novel polarity: The digital mean as being a hurdle to real contact –a dystopian approach- or a facilitator to it –an utopian approach. I had to reflect on my personal e-learning experiences as I had the opportunity to be an e-learner and an e-educator.
As a learner, what keeps me MOOCking until 4:00 in the morning almost every night?
- I am really learning in a new and exciting way
- I am thrilled by the experience of a bizarre thing; a caring attitude, which “jumps out of my screen”. I feel the Professors in my room teaching for me! Such dominant is their "presence". And I feel so connected to them.
- I become engaged through the course interactivity (in the forum discussions and by peer grading) and I am having fun
- Feelings of pride, privilege and gratefulness also spring.
               What questions arise from the above? What creates all these human attributes like emotions, excitement, and feeling of being in contact through a digital learning experience? Is it the persons on the other side of the screen, their behaviour and how I perceive it, or may be the content?
               All the above became so precious to me that I continued diving in the on-line learning world with endless excitement. And very recently I grasped the opportunity to develop an e-learning course for the organization that I am working for. Here are some screen shots:


                     The experience I had as an e-learner was now redeemed in the way I was working on the e-course along with my project team. We took a lot of care for the preparation and execution of the course. I made it more personalized by introducing, as part of the course, the project team and myself. This created some kind of intimacy between the learners and myself though I didn't know and never met any of them.
                     The feedback that I received was outstanding. And then there were colleagues who wanted to develop e-learning courses for the first time for them and their audiences as well, so they were asking for some tips. And these are some of what I shared with them:
- It is a Change Management case. Take appropriate and respective initiatives
- Turn resistance to assistance. Show care and make yourself present and available. No special charisma is needed for that
- If you are the e-learning project leader, take several e-courses for yourself before starting developing one
- Connect your e-courses to the business outcome (sales results)
- Pay attention to experience: It becomes a real experience when you talk about it after. So ask, get and share feedback

                   As I am reflecting both cases, I realize that the same questions and the same feelings are popping up. However my conclusion is that either as a learner, either as a teacher, when we develop and show a caring attitude for the other through our digital means interactions, paradoxically, contact gets established despite the “spooky space between”. And this contact is what enhances the learning and frames our human identity in the digital world.

1 comment:

eleni alex said...

yesssssssssssss ;)